Unemployment sucks… been there, done that, and working hard never to go down that road AGAIN. The feeling of inadequacy, frustration and self-loathe are all too familiar, especially when others around you seem to be doing pretty well for themselves (changing jobs, moving up the career ladder, closing deals… you get my drift, right?).
So why are most still unemployed? Love it or hate it, here are my 10 reasons:
1) You’ve just about had it with the cycle of feeling inspired and enthusiastic only to get shut down by some rejection letter (join the club! I received so many that I had to create a folder in my email just for them).
2) You can’t be asked to put in any effort to make the job hunt easier – wrong mindset (after all you’re gonna get disqualified by your lack of knowledge about current affairs, the company background, your age, or some other reason that the recruiter comes up with despite being highly skilled).
3) You’re still expecting a call back from one of the organizations you applied to last year… or was it the year before? (After all they promised to get back to you, right?).
4) You’ve developed a ‘badass’ business plan in ‘your head’ that’s sure to bring in the big bucks (only problem is you haven’t given it any extra thought or put your plans down on paper… playing mind games with yourself, huh?).
5) You’ve gotten comfortable with your couch, er I mean routine, so why change that? (Do I really need to explain this bit?).